ヤン・スギョン - いつかきっと微笑みへ
Soon it will be good-bye to 2013 and hello 2014.
Things I did in 2013
Comics and zines:
- Finished inking and released OSCP5 in time for TCAF- finally a new volume after 3 years hiatus! (Buy a copy here or read for free here). I couldn’t have done it without my friend Linda working as an assistant helping me draw backgrounds.
- Drew a short comic called Object Memory for a Comics Workbook competition in 48 hours. I’m really happy with how it turned out and will go back and recolour in grey or duotone for an eventual print version with other comics featuring Mother Koala and Mi the Yellow Dolphin.
- Sold out of End Days of Our Youth… or so I thought - the other day I found B&W interiors for 5 more copies. Ask if you want a copy for $7 bucks if not I might just never get around to binding them. It’s a real pain.
- Put together a colour & b&w mini called Metamorphosis about people turning into bird people. It was a way to experiment with watercolour and get over my anxiety about working non-digitally. Some pieces from the book here (1 / 2 / 3).
- Contributed an illustration and free talk to Love Love Hill’s Love Lens that also debut at TCAF. The book is really wonderful - grab a copy if you haven’t already. I regret not being able to contribute more.
- Helped Lawn with the book design and printing the bug-themed anthology PUPA. The first edition was handbound in time for TCAF and we ran preorders later in the fall for a larger print run in Taiwan. BTW, if you are waiting for your books, Lawn completed her surgery last week and has started to ship orders out starting with addresses in North America. We’re sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. m(_ _)m
- Over the summer, I put together a pitch for SparklerMag but because of various circumstances was unable to ink many pages despite finishing the pencils for the first chapter! It is my first pitch ever so I feel it probably isn’t very strong especially because I was unable to complete enough inked pages to my own satisfaction, but I will most likely work on this project after OSCP is completed. In November I did something else… I won’t get my hopes up about it so I won’t give more details but I’m terrified regardless of what happens.
Not so cool stuff:
- I kept getting sick this year. :-( Two summer colds in June and then July. Weird air pressure and ear problems right after TCAF made it impossible for me to draw and work on the things I wanted to do - I had to drop a couple projects unfortunately.
- Many other things in real life that are stressful and anxiety inducing.
- I don’t have a clear life goal at the moment.
Cool stuff that offset the shitty stuff:
- Managed to table at TCAF (May) and Otakuthon (August), volunteered at FanExpo (August) and hung out with model Aoki Misako and all the beautiful sparkling Lolitas, and took a trip down to New York to meet friends and attend CAB - was refreshing not to have to table at an event for once. Also - was able to attend the Otsuka Eiji 2-day workshop on manga - many thanks to Kim for helping me sign up for this (also sorry I got really sick on the 2nd day :-( ). Of course all of these travels and events were made cool because of the awesome people I got to meet and hang out with. *crying forever because of feelings*
- Also getting mad hang out times with Pop Kakumei and Pinku Project back in January and meeting for a bit again in March and August. *crying*
I still need to write a proper report about TCAF and CAB but I don’t know if I ever will but there were a lot of really wonderful moments this year thanks to my friends. Actually I can walk into the sunset now and disappear forever because I have been acknowledged by extremely cool people for my karaoke skills - this is all that matters.
I’ve been feeling an intense sense of wistfulness and melancholy over the past couple weeks - is it connected to recently become one more year older or it is because this year is soon ending?
I will try to feel less like an imposter in 2014. I want to feel more satisfied about myself and though I love it so dearly I am so ready for OSCP to be my old work. It’s been 7 years of my life - I want to move on.
Thanks to everyone who has been watching me and supporting me and believing in me and caring for me even when I was unable to do the same for myself. Those reading this, I hope you have a good 2014 and that you will remember the good things and lessons learned in 2013 as you walk towards the coming new year. As with most things - in the end it will be okay somehow mostly eventually きっと、ぜったい大丈夫。
having fun with tone
FYI Lawn finally completed her surgery procedures recently and has started to ship the books starting with the addresses in North America. Things would’ve moved much faster under better circumstances, but we only get one body in this life so it’s important to take care of health first. Thank you for your patience and understanding!
here is a comic i drew to accompany a riso workshop. it’s meant to be read alongside a presentation, so reading it on its own probably raises more questions than it answers.
here are some good resources if you are interested in learning about RISO:
This is a really wonderful informative comic! Sad I couldn’t attend the workshop but I’m happy I got a chance to check out Kris’ studio when I was in town a while ago! <3 Riso is awesome. <3
The Vel-Vets - I Got To Find Me Somebody
I’ve been told this looks like Urusei Yatsura and other Takahashi Rumiko works. I’ve also been told it looks like she is gonna steal the other girl’s shoes. - Maybe it’s all those things and more… I actually wasn’t thinking about any of these things when I painted this.
The other watercolour and gouache pieces I did recently with these motifs - (1) (2)
The originals for this piece (11”x9”) and this (10”x7.5”) are for sale if anyone is interested. I don’t know how to set prices for these… orz Just send me a message? TT_TT;;